- Scrabble as blood sport. I love words, and studies have shown the importance of exercising your mind, but this is next-level.
“Top players aren’t interested in words for communication, just for maximizing their score. Indeed, believe it or not, some of the top players don’t speak very good English; they’re from Thailand or Malaysia and have memorized all these non-words with one goal in mind — winning tournaments.“
- If you had asked me a year ago, which industries I thought would boom in 2020, Plexiglass would not have made the list. Yet today, it’s everywhere. Will it stay once the pandemic ends?
“…overnight, [global] demand increased by roughly four times what it was the prior year.” Manufacturers had a hard time keeping up, and customers faced months-long waits. At the same time, suppliers realized that the boost was temporary; unlike face masks and rubber gloves, plexiglass barriers are a durable good. Besides, even if the crisis passes and the barriers are retired, plexiglass, unlike many other plastics, can be recycled into other plexi products.
- “You’re under no obligation to remain the same person you were a year ago, a month ago, or even a day ago. You are here to create yourself, continuously”
I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. This year has been particularly transformative for me- not with regards to the normal benchmarks we use, but with something of a more subtle shift. I’m writing again, making an effort to be less cynical (progress, not perfection), and trying to be intentional in everything I do. I also started running. How about you? What changes have you made this year? What’s on your list for 2021?
- I hadn’t heard this album by the JudyBats in years, but recently dug it out, and it instantly made it’s way back into heavy rotation. They also still hold the record as “most polite towards their audience” of any concert I’ve ever been to. It’s fantastic, and worth your time. Give it a listen!
- Thanks for everything! I know Gratitude lists can be a dime-a-dozen, but this year, they seem to have a certain gravity to them. It’s always been important to see the world with an abundance mindset; the ‘Rona just brought that into stark relief. Spoiler alert; you made this list.
What caught your attention this week? I’d love to hear about it! Let me know in the comments below.